Our mandatory shakedown campout is 2 weeks away! Are you prepared?
- Plan to arrive at the field behind the Scout Office (820 17th Ave South, Great Falls, Montana 59405) between 5-6 p.m. on Friday June 14th with your necessary gear. Depart from 10-11 a.m. on Sunday June 16th.
- Eat before arriving Friday evening; meals will be provided all day Saturday and for Sunday breakfast.
- Please do not bring a bunch of junk food, candy or snacks – you will not need it.
- During this Shakedown, we will camp Jambo-style, just like at the Jamboree.
- There will be 2 Scouts (from the same patrol) per tent. Bring your own 2-4 person tent (9′ x 9′ is ideal); or let your Patrol Leader (or SPL, or Scoutmaster) know if you need to borrow a tent.
- We will not be conducting Swim Tests – no need to bring your swimming gear.
- There will be an open meeting (parents highly encouraged) Saturday morning at 9 a.m. to discuss our travel plans, updates from the National Jamboree, and our Code of Conduct.
- The Scout Store will be open Friday until 7 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. This will be your last chance to receive the Jamboree Discount on uniform supplies… call ahead now to order, to ensure availability.
Code of Conduct
Parents & Scouts – please print, discuss, sign and bring with you to Shakedown the attached Code of Conduct document. It is important that everyone be aware of the possible consequences of unacceptable behavior.
Also, the Jamboree staff has posted the following document for your review:
What to bring:
Review the “Things to Bring to Jamboree” posting from February 22 on our website https://mtjambo.wordpress.com/ to find out what you’ll receive at this Shakedown. (Note: if you ordered extra patches, t-shirts, etc., or a Jambo nametag, these will be given here – be sure you have payment ready if needed. Plus, there may be a few additional items available for purchase if you decide you want extras.)
Each Scout should bring to this Shakedown:
- Sleeping Bag/bedroll
- Sleep clothes/pajamas
- Mess Kit
- Water bottle
- Hygiene Kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, deodorant/antiperspirant, soap, washcloth, towel, etc.)
- Field Uniform, complete (a.k.a. “Class A”. This includes Official BSA shirt, pants/shorts, belt, and socks)
- Activity Uniform (a.k.a. “Class B”. Remember, you will be receiving 2 Troop t-shirts this weekend)
- Neckerchief slide
- Personal First Aid kit (see Scout Handbook)
- Pen and paper (a small pocket notebook is recommended)
- Change of clothes for Saturday and Sunday (2 extra days worth of underwear, socks, pants, etc.)
- Be prepared for the weather! (Rain gear, light jacket, etc.)
Optional items you might consider (these will be supplied at Jambo, but you may want to bring to our Shakedown):
Agenda for June campout
- arrival 5-6 pm: registration table check in
- 6–8 Setup campsites
- 8:00 Cracker barrel (snacks)
- 11:00 lights out
- 7:00 reveille
- 7:30 Breakfast
- 8:45 Flags
- 9:00 Meeting with parents and youth to talk about updates from national, travel and tour plans with parents and scouts
- 10:30 Split into troops and crew for the following activities:
- Hand out gear, clothing and patches by troop and crew
- Practice with Jamboree Troop tent
- Work on Troop Banner
- 12:00 pm Lunch
- 1:00 Continue with morning activities
- 2:30 Troop time
- 4:00 Code of Conduct and Safety training for tour and jamboree
- 5:00 Closing Flags and Dinner
- 6:30 Troop time
- 8:00 Campfire
- 9:30 Cracker barrel (snacks)
- 11:00 Lights out
- 7:00 reveille
- 7:30 breakfast
- 9:00 scout service
- 9:30 break camp and depart
Shakedown Campout Menu
- Friday evening Cracker Barrel: meat, cheese, crackers, drink mix, cookies
- Saturday Breakfast: Cereal (variety), Milk, Juice, Fruit
- Lunch: Sandwiches (ham, turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, bread, Miracle Whip, mustard), Chips (variety pack), Drink mix, Vegetable (carrots)
- Dinner: Spaghetti (noodles, hamburger, sauce), Salad (lettuce, dressings), Bread (French bread, butter), Drink mix
- Cracker Barrel: meat, cheese, crackers, drink mix, cookies
- Sunday Breakfast : Cereal (variety), Milk, Juice, Fruit